Re: boot incomplete. Due to /usr on lvm2?

To answer my own question, most of my issues were due to using xfs. I had the old entry in /etc/fstab of:
defaults,errors=remount-ro
However this [errors=remount-ro] option isn't supported by xfs. Therefore the root fs was being mounted ro, and demons, logging etc failed and the system failed to boot. I had some filesystem corruption from the failing drive, and re-installed all the Debian packages. Everything seems fine now.