Re: DPKG dependency

also sprach axolx@speakeasy.net <axolx@speakeasy.net> [2005.07.08.2149 +0200]:
> I am using sarge with qmail as my MTA. I compiled and installed qmail
> rather than using the debian package. Now, every time I try to install
> packages that depend on an MTA (say mutt) aptitude adds Exim to the list
> to satisfy the dependency. How can I override this and tell package
> management that I have qmail running just fine and to forget about Exim?

use the equivs package to create a dummy package, e.g. with the
following control file:

  Section: misc
  Standards-Version: 3.6.1.1

  Package: qmail-dummy
  Version: 1.0
  Maintainer: you <you@you.com>
  Provides: mail-transport-agent
  Architecture: all
  Copyright: /usr/share/common-licenses/Artistic
   qmail is a full-featured MTA and has been installed to
   /usr/local on the local system. This package only serves to
   make other packages depending on the mail-transport-agent
   virtual package happy.
   .
   This package has been created with equivs. It is empty.

This (and other stuff) is covered in my book:
http://debiansystem.info.

`. `'`