Getmail question

A not-much-user rather than a complete newbie, I've been using Debian for a couple of years. I'm now finally trying to get email working on my 486. I have a user "mail" which I have used to set up getmail. I use a dialup connection. When I connect I do so as root using pon. This works OK. Then I log in as "mail" and run getmail. This works OK, and mail is delivered to the relevant user. But is there a way I can run getmail without logging in as "mail"? How do I go about it? And do I have to run pon as root?

- Joe