Re: grub splash image

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:02:42 -0600,  wrote:

> hello, i have a small problem, i am trying to add a splash image to my
> bootup, grub and the initial loading before xserver starts, everything
> i have read that refers to this sort of thing mentions a file called
> "grub.conf" but it appears that file is not on my system, the closest
> thing i can find that might be it would be "menu.lst"

right there. The other one is a twist off the original.

> and i have tried
> adding in the line "splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/myfile.xpm.gz" but
> that seemed to have no effect whats so ever, is there something i am
> doing wrong? i have grub installed on the mbr, please help with this
> problem of mine.

splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
is the one I use.
First, you cannot just use any image, it needs to be in the correct
format. Make sure you don't just rename myfile to myfile.xpm.gz !

With respect to hdX,Y, that depends on your partition layout. It really
depends where your grub sits in the partitions (nothing to do with MBR).
In my case, /boot is /dev/hda6, so in grub-speak it would be hd0,5. This
is simply where grub and menu.lst are located.

HTH,

Uwe