Re: Still not fixed ipup problem.

On Friday 08 July 2005 07:54, Arias Hung wrote:
> Okay, I've been having this exact same problem the last week or two and
> have had to resort to manually bringing up eth0 with dhclient.
>
> the auto ifup always assigns me that bogus 169.254.x.x address too ... very
> annoying.
>
> What I think this is related to though for me is a recent aborted install
> of vmware, in which some sort of virtual bridge was setup to co-exist on
> eth0.

I think the symptoms are very much like that.  It is almost as though hotplug
or discover are doing something with the interface before ifup gets at it. (I
have set /etc/default/hotplug to have

NET_AGENT_POLICY=hotplug

so it should only grab interfaces which are explicitly mentioned as hotplug
controlled in /etc/network/interfaces.  I have none of that.

The other thing that I was thinking about was maybe my initrd did something
with the interface which screwed ifup.

lastly, if I take networking down on a running system and then use ifup I get
these sit0: devices mentions - where do they come from?

root@kanger alan # ifup eth0
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client 2.0pl5
Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:50:da:cf:a5:06
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:50:da:cf:a5:06
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.0.20
SIOCSIFADDR: File exists
bound to 192.168.0.21 -- renewal in 10800 seconds.
RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address
root@kanger alan #
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk