upgrade to Sarge stopped nic

Hi,
I recently made the mistake of upgrading to Sarge
without reading up on the process. Dumb mistake, but
it's just a test system.
I did an apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.
The update finished and I was getting internet
connectivity until I rebooted the machine.
Now the link light on the hub won't even light up.
Or rather, it lights up initially, then at some point
during bootup it goes off.
*
Is there an easy way to recover from this?
If not, how can I get my nic to function long enough
to SSH some files off that machine.

Thanks in advance for the help,
-Rick

Yahoo! Mail for Mobile