Speedtouch+pppd+br2684ctl

Hello everyone.

I've recently installed an ADSL modem as my primary connection to
the internet. The modem that my provider gave me is a Speedtouch. I
have this installed on a Debian sarge machine, which uses a 2.4
kernel. This was one of the first problems I had: this kernel does
not support hotplug firmware upload. To be able to upload the
firmware I installed the "speedtouch" package which in turn calls
ifup on the network interface. As a pre-up command I run br2684ctl
and configure the nas0 interface. Only then pppd is called. (I'm
doing this detailed description just in case anyone is stuck as I
was)

Ok, everything is working apart from one thing: from time to time
my provider disconnects me and pppd isn't able to recover. As far as
I understood the problem is that the running br2684ctl needs to be
killed and then restarted. Since the interface doesn't go down no
/etc/network/interface scripts are run.

Does any one have any idea on how I can accomplish that?

Thanks in advance,

--
Paladin