Re: Good backup software for Linux

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:20:38 -0700
Dave Carrigan <dave@rudedog.org> wrote:

> The VMS backup facility did this correctly -- you took a full backup
> once a month and incrementals every day (this was back in the days where
> 9 track tape was most common). If you had a disk crash, you did a

Back in my old DOS days, I had a Mountain Filesafe 'qic' type drive,
and my working set was just a tad over 1 tape's length - so I had to
use two tapes to do the backup. But what I ended up doing was to run
incremental backups daily, appending each to the end of the second tape
until I ran out of room, upon which I would do another full backup.

My 2 cents - there is some good backup software out there, but if you
can cobble something together with 'tar' or some other standard tool,
you might be better off - especially when you have to do a full
restore.  Of course, you have to have enough of the system loaded in
order to operate the software (i.e., if it's an X based solution, you
need X running in addition to your backup software). But tar can fit
on a floppy. Alternatively you might explore backup solutions that
present themselves on live cd/dvds - that way you only need to boot the
cd and restore your backups.

Just having purchased a DVD writer, I'm tempted to try growisofs as a
backup tool and just send my backups to rewriteable DVDs as my /home is
just about the same size as a single-layer DVD. It should be much
faster than DAT at least on my system, which is what I was using
previously.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.