Re: How to change driver for NIC

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
Carlos Rodrigues wrote:

So, I have Debian running inside VMware, and the NIC is detected as a
AMD PCnet (module pcnet32). I installed vmware-tools and would like to
know how to me Debian use the "vmxnet" driver instead.

How is the right way to change which module is loaded for a given hardware?

I guess you should find what to edit in /etc/modules.conf

I tried to add "alias pcnet32 vmxnet" to a new file under /etc/modutils, and then run "update-modules.modutils".

I did a similar thing on an Debian Alpha installation with "alias e100 eepro100" (to force the use of "eepro100" instead of the default "e100" which keeps freezing on an ES40) and it worked, but for pcnet32/vmxnet it doesn't, and I can't figure out why.

Carlos Rodrigues