Re: devmapper mount names

>> A basic question that I can't seem to find an answer to (maybe not so
>> basic?).
>>
>> Using LVM and therefore devmapper, the volume names are such that >they
>> are accessible under /dev/mapper/<PV_Name>-<LV_Name>. Likewise, these
>> names are used in reporting (du, df, mount, etc...). I would prefer >to
>> have the volumes reported directly as their dev names, so
>> /dev/mapper/volgroup-root should be /dev/volgroup/root. The volumes >are >> accessible this way, and if I use those entries in fstab it works >fine,
>> but still get reported under the /dev/mapper/* headers.
>>
>> My best guess is that it has something to do with the order of the
>> lookup of devices, but I don't have any idea how to modify that. Is >this
>> possible? Is there a reason not to want such a presentation?

>If I understand you correctly, here is how I do it in my /etc/fstab
>
># /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>#
>proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
>/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 >1
>/dev/lv_home_group/lv_home /home  reiserfs defaults       2  2
>/dev/hda1       /boot           ext3    defaults        0       2
>/dev/local/lv_usr /usr          reiserfs defaults           2  2
>#/dev/hda3       /Knoppix        ext3    defaults        0       2
>/dev/local/lv_local /usr/local  reiserfs defaults           2  2
>/dev/backups/lv_backup /backups reiserfs defaults            2  2
>/dev/spare/pgm3 /pgm3           reiserfs defaults           2  2
>/dev/spare/album /album           reiserfs defaults           2  2
>/dev/hda5       /var            ext3    defaults        0       2
>/dev/hdb9       /extra          ext3    defaults         0      0
>#/dev/hdb10      /knoppix        ext3    defaults         0      0
>/dev/hda7       none            swap    sw              0       0
>/dev/hdb3       none            swap    sw              0       0
>/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
>/dev/hdc        /media/dvd      iso9660 rw,user,noauto  0       0
>/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>#/dev/hdc        /mnt/UDFDVD     auto    ro,user,noatime 0       0
>/dev/pktcdvd/cdrom /mnt/UDF  udf     noauto,noatime,user,rw     0       >0
>/dev/pktcdvd/dvd /mnt/UDF  udf     noauto,noatime,user,rw     0       0

That mounts the drives just fine, I use the shorter names in my fstab currently. However, when using (as an example) 'df' to view filesystems, the name is listed as the full /dev/mapper/* device.

I would like to use shorter entries in fstab - this works already. What I would also like to be able to have happen, is df and the like display the shorter name /dev/{volgroup}/{volname}.

Any ideas?