Re: Procedure for upgrading kernel from 2.4 to 2.6

It pretty much is that simple, though if you're compiling from source,
you do have to configure the kernel before running make-kpkg.  Here's
the steps I usually take:

1) Install kernel-source package of my choosing.  This puts a tarball of
the source tree in /usr/src.
2) Untar source tree with     tar xfvj <kernel-source-2.6.x.tar.bz2>
3) cd to newly-created kernel-source-2.6.x directory and configure
kernel with 'make menuconfig'.  You can also use 'make config' or 'make
xconfig' if you prefer, though 'make config' takes forever.
4) Do 'make-kpkg kernel-image' or 'make-kpkg --initrd kernel-image,' as
I usually need an initial RAM disk on startup.
5) cd back to /usr/src and install the newly created .deb package (which
will update grub/lilo and create appropriate files in /boot).

So yes, it really is that simple!  And you'll still have your 2.4.27
kernel around if you accidentally mess something up.  If you're looking
for an even easier way to a 2.6 kernel, Debian already has precompiled
'kernel-image' packages.  Just install and go.

John Miller
debian@jorymil.com