security (auth/apache)

Hello,
I am new to this list, so I hope what I am asking
hasn't already been covered. I am wondering how I can
setup my box so that persons trying to login cannot
keep trying from the same IP address, my auth.log is
huge from a couple IPs that have been trying to login
i believe via ssh, its not that I want to lock it out
if they try too many different passwords, its that
they are cycling through user names, also, is there a
way to block ips for a certain amount of time when
they are attempting to get through apache? For
instance trying to use skripts that work on M$ IIS? I
just want to stop useless process time on my machine
by people who aren't going to get anything anyway. I
feel that it is mostly annoying while trying to read
through logs to find legitimate traffic.
Thank you in advance for any assistance,
Tom Middleton