Re: problem with /pen

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 03:45:31PM +0200, roberto wrote:

> --- "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> ha scritto:
>
> > > hi
> > >
> > > i encounter the following problem when i try to mount my usb pen on debian sarge, kernel 2.6.8
> > >
> > > ~:$ mount /pen
> > > mount: special device /mnt/sda1 does not exist
> > >

> > With the drive plugged in, what is the output of 'lsusb' (you may need
> > to install the usbutils package if you don't already have it)
> here's the output
>
> ~# lsusb
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05dc:0080 Lexar Media, Inc. Jumpdrive Secure 64MB
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>

> >and what
> > is the output of 'fdisk -l /dev/sda'?
> here's the other one
>
> ~# fdisk -l /dev/sda
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 128 MB, 128974848 bytes
> 8 heads, 32 sectors/track, 984 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 256 * 512 = 131072 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *           1         979      125296    6  FAT16

That is quite strange.  Did you try mounting it and specifying the
filesystem type?  Something like 'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /pen' may yield
better results?  You may also want to try fat and msdos as filesystem
types.  Also, make sure that the filesystems, msdos, fat and vfat are
compiled into the kernel or loaded as modules.  You can see a complete
list of the file systems your kernel can handle by running 'cat
/proc/filesystems'.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez