dh-make-perl

I'm running into some difficulties with dh-make-perl, but right now they
are kind of wishlist issues...  I am wondering if there is some way to
automate the following:

Normally when doing a CPAN install it can be configured to automatically
get additional dependency modules.

using dh-make-perl --build --cpan, is there some way to either:
auto-get/ask these modules to complete the build?
pre-test the installation to find dependencies before the tests fail?

I'm finding it's a very nice tool, but there's some interations that
I'm hoping to avoid.