Rescue CD blues

I want to make a rescue CD which will enable me to quickly rebuild a
server in case of a disaster.

I have now tried three different methods and all have failed:

1.  dfsbuild:  Builds a CD and when I boot with it, it ends with

    RAMDISK: Loading 1272KiB [1 disk] into ram disk ... done
    Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
    unknown-block(1,0)

2.  bootcd:  Runing "sudo bootcdwrite" ends with:
    mkisofs: Permission denied. cannot open
    '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0/0000:02:0e.0/host0/target0:2:0/0:2:0:0/delete'
    exit=13

    A 'ls' of that device shows the permissions as "--w-------  1 root
    root"

3.  mondo (and I have excluded /var/spool) failed with:

    Fatal error. Cannot unmount mountpoint
    (/var/spool/squid/tmp.mondo.19434/mindil
    Please e-mail a copy of /tmp/mindi.err.30378.tgz to the mailing list.
    See http://www.mondorescue.org for more information.
    WE CANNOT HELP unless you enclose that file.

    Mindi failed to create your boot+data disks.

    I don't really want to subscribe to a different mailing list every
    time I want to use a product.

Any other tools I can try?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek
      after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all
      the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD,
      and to inquire in his temple."
                               Psalms 27:4

Vrywaring:  Jy hoef eintlik net die e-pos self te gelees het. :)
Disclaimer: If you are reading this you are wasting your time :)