Plain text mail-merge

I'm looking for a tool that can do the equivalent of the mail-merge
feature found in any decent word processor, but with plain text files.
I'm sure there has to be such a beast but I've apt-search'd and
freshmeat'd with various combinations of "mail merge text substitution"
to no avail. I'm sure an hour or so with perl or python will produce
the goods for my specific case but I find it hard to believe there's no
general purpose tool already available.

--
Frank Copeland
Home Page: <URL:http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fjc/>

Keep it in Usenet. E-mail replies and 'courtesy' copies are not welcome.
If you're selling, I ain't buying.