Still Having Internet Troubles

Though I brought this problem up once before, it wasn't solved. So, I
thought I'd try afresh.

My problem is this. I have used pppoeconf to set up my internet connection.
How? you may ask. Like this. I shall go through the steps it says:

It finds 1 eth0. It looks for access concentrator on PPPoE. It then changes
the /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider. It removes noauth and a few others (sorry,
not quite sure what) from configuration files (that is what it says). It
asks for password and login name. It asks if it should start on boot up. I
do not know what it does to accomplish this.

Now then. The /etc/network/interfaces file reads thus:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
 provider dsl-provider
# please do not modify the following line
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

Now, the /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file I can not access with out root
privileges (which brings up

a good point. How do I access this file (or any other) while in my standard
user profile with out

having to adjust the permissions (chmod 666) or change to root? I
suppose this can only be done from a console. What is it I must do?).

So, there you have it. I also tried

update-rc.d -f pppd remove

but this did not work: I still get two ppps (I. E. ppp0 and ppp1). I
have been doing

# ifconfig ppp1 down

which does the trick, but I'd rather not do this.

In addition, on boot-up, a message says that /etc/ppp/ppp-on-boot is
deprecated: please use normal /etc/network/interfaces. Printed by some
thing in inet.d. I'm sorry, I'm not too sure what that is. I can get
the whole message, if it is needed.

If you need any other information, I shall supply it to the best of my
ability.

As always, I thank you in advance.