Re: How do i find dynamic IP assigned?

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 11:42, Andrea Ganduglia wrote:
> On 6/21/05, Valeriu Cerchez <vcerchez@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to find out a(/n easy) way to determine
> > what is my dynamic IP assigned by my ISP (not my
> > internal DHCP). I wish to make a script to determine
> > that by request.
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate any suggestion.
> > Thanks, Val.
>
> Surely possible way is:
> ifconfig | grep -1 ppp0 | tail -1 | sed 's/.*r://' | sed 's/ .*$//'
>
> Replace ppp0 with your active interface.

And,

ifconfig eth0 | grep inet | awk '{print $2}' | awk -F : '{print $2}'

The bash var substitution (Johnson) is promising; I'll have to try that. (The
exact one provided fails on ipv6 enabled ifconfig--notably all of Ubuntu--but
once working, looks neater than the sed greps awk and does curls. (Though,
OpenBSD might not like it as much as the sed greps awk deal.)