Re: deskjet plus margins

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi Debian!!!

In 1990 I bought an HP deskjet plus for $500.
I now build complete systems easily for that price. Anyway.
I just lugged it acrosss the continent and plugged it into Sarge.
Cups knows it.
But it always overflows its margins.

Anybody have a deskjet plus and solved that problem?

I did.
Go to a clean partition and install Debian from its CD and select linux26 and watch grub loop on restarting the new system. Use the rescue CD to boot the partition, dump grub and install lilo.

Run your script to set up everything the way you want it normally.

Install x-window-system-core to avoid xprint.

Install lpr and magicfilter, no cups.

Upon termination run magicfilterconfig to add the deskjet.

Now Mozilla prints OK, not great: still the bottom title overlaps when setting the properties to 0.1 0.5 0.5 0.5

Gv prints .ps files properly.

Moral of the story: with the deskjet avoid Cups and Xprint.

I had discovered this many years ago before the Debian days, but where are thos records?

HTH