Re: SUN JavaVM & debian

Paolo Pantaleo wrote:
> if one install the SUN JVM (and SDK) debian doesn't notice it (ok normal...).

It depends upon what you mean by "install".  If you mean just copy
some files around then dpkg won't know about them.  But if you mean
use dpkg to install a java package then dpkg will know about them.

> So if i want to install some packages that requires a jvm debian will
> install a new jvm.
> This isn't obviusly what one wants.
>
> I wold like to ask:
>
> 1) Is there a workaround to solve the problem

You should build a .deb package of the java that you want to use and
install it.  This is very easy.

  download j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.bin from sun.com

  apt-get install java-package

  make-jpkg --full-name "Paolo Pantaleo" --email "paolopantaleo@gmail.com" j2re-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.bin

  dpkg -i sun-j2re1.4_1.4.2+06_i386.deb

The java-package is modeled after kernel-package.  I really like
Debian at times like these when it all comes together!

> 2) Could this problem be solved in a systematic way for all debian &
> SUN JVM users?

Sun's license is preventing this from being easier for their users.
Please write to Sun and ask them to change the license on their Java
project.

Bob