Re: X problem as root

Marco Calviani wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>  i've got a problem whenever i become root and try to open a window in
> my user X session:
>
> for example:
>
> user@local:~$ su
> root@local:~$ eog
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>

> Does anybody can diagnose the problem?

It has to do with Xauthority files. I don't understand all the
ins-and-outs of it; I just use "sudo" instead (as in "sudo eog"), which
handles it automagically.

I think "sux" (and perhaps another tool or two) might work as well.

Or you can dig into the ins-and-outs, and figure out how to copy the
Xauthority info from your normal user to root when you "su".

--
Kent