[Fwd: Updating problem with my woody.]

Andreas Janssen (<andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com>) wrote:

Hello

Franki (<franki@htmlfixit.com>) wrote:

> Last night I ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on a remote server
> and got this in reply.
>
> The following packages have been kept back
>   apache apache-common apt apt-utils base-config base-passwd bash bc
> bin86 bind bind9-host binutils bison bitchx bsdmainutils bsdutils
> bzip2 chkrootkit console-common console-tools cpio cpp
>    cpp-2.95 cron curl dc debconf debconf-utils debhelper debianutils
> [...]
> mozilla mozilla-browser mozilla-mailnews mozilla-psm

Mozilla on your web server?

> [...]
> So after upgrading the ones that would upgrade, I tried manually doing
> apache.
>
> apt-get install apache
> And it returned this:
>
> positive:/etc/apt# apt-get install apache
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>    apache-common apache2-utils binutils coreutils debconf debconf-i18n
>
> Am I missing something here?

You are obviously missing that more than two weeks ago Sarge was
released as the new stable version of Debian. Take a look at the Sarge
release notes to see how to upgrade from Woody to Sarge.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen
--

Thankyou, I knew of the release of Sarge as the new stable, what I was hoping was that there was some way to get all the last updates to Woody from somewhere by changing my sources.list to point only to the old woody updates.

This is a mail server I am speaking off and there has been much customisation done to achieve the functionality I require. I'm not confident that an upgrade to sarge would go flawlessly and I'm worried that it would trash the system and require a full reinstall. somethiing the users are not likely to be particularly happy about.

Is there anyway to get the last Woody updates (from the Final June patch release)?

rgds

franki