Sarge configuration: adding a sound card

Greetings Debian users,

First off, I've upgraded to Sarge over the weekend, and the install went
smoothly.  I actually I reinstalled due to variety of factors, and didn't
encounter the possible upgrade problems that was mentioned in in the
development announcement list.  Kudos to Debian team, with special mention
to the installer team.

With that out of the way, I have added a sound card after the installation,
and am puzzled as to how the sound support plumbing is implemented in Sarge.
The card is Creative PCI128, and I am using kernel 2.4.27-2 with the driver
es1371.

I think, during Sarge install, the installer asked coupla questions about
sound support, but at the time, the machine did not have sound card, so I
answered something like "no sound" (not quite sure what my reponses were).
Now, I added the card, and I am noticing two things:

1. CD Player (from X/GNOME) is able to put out output, but the volume is
rather low, and my Volume Control tells me there is no mixer/device
available.

2. XMMS, when trying to play mp3 stream, complains about sound card
configuration, including blockage and output plug-in.

My guess is that there is a layer of software packages that abstract the
access to sound card, but I am unfortunately ignorant of recent sound
support in Debian/Linux space.  What are the packages I should install?  Any
pointers/tips as to their configuration would be much appreciated as well.

Also, more general questions:  What is the debian installer that I can run
in instances like this, to ease configuration when hardware profile has been
updated after the initial installation?

Hope you don't find this long questions too annoying.  Any
information/tip/help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Dasa