Japanese input

I installed Debian a few weeks back in Japanese.

This installed Canna (which correctly starts up as a service on boot).
Also, Kinput (kinput2-canna-wnn) and Freewnn-jserver (not sure what this
does) were installed.

Entering the following 2 commands on the command line (inside X) gets
kinput2 up and running, and any programs ran from this terminal will now
accept Japanese input (if they're capable of such).
$ pidof kinput2 >/dev/null || kinput2 &
$ export XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2

But I'd like to have these commands executed somewhere so Japanese input
is available in X when I log in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading!
Eric P