Wvdial, Pon Broke On Sarge-Stable, Only Pon works On Woody-Done Everthing I Know-Need Help

Discovered wvdial and pon not working after finally getting the 2.4.27-2-386 KI to boot. Ran wvdialconf and pppconfig which didn't change anything. Chmod a+rwx on all wvdial and wvdial.conf files. Some Debians may say that's not the way, but I don't want to use su and don't have to on pon, so why on wvdial. I've also added my UID to all the appropriate groups. It's a single user Desktop PC. Discovered a couple items that wvdialconf left out; no init3=ATDT and no New PPPD = yes. They were both in the conf file in Sarge Texting, but both woody/sarge became non-functional due to / becomming full. Believe they are required; if not please correct me. I added them to all three wvdials in /etc/wvdial.conf, /etc/X11/wvdial.conf, /home/lchata/wvdial.conf. The phone, UID and Password entries in /home/lchate/wvdial.conf were commented out. Reviewed the pap- and chat-secrets files and didn't see anything suspicious to me but, I am a realative newbie. Also googled and read all related manuals and checked bug report#276020 and didn't find any thing revelant except for the ATDT dial command. I also changed /dev/modem to read /dev/ttySHCF0. Wvdial and pon still don't work in sarge and wvdial doesn't work in woody but did before the sarge dist-upgrade. I give up; don't know what else to do without quidance. Message output from wvdial and my wvdial.conf files are below: My mind is a little foggy right now, please ask for any other info needed. And thanks for any help; I'm at a dead end. PLEASE copy my email address; not subscribed and easier to format replys.

Leonard Chatagnier

lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$ wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
*--> Warning: section [Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.*
--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Permission denied
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:~$ su
Password:
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
*--> Warning: section [Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.*
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid login name.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid password.
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata# cat /etc/wvdial.conf
*[Dialer Defaults]*
Phone = 9815666
Username = lchata
Password = lrchata
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttySHCF0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = ATDT
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ChatagnierL-Home:/home/lchata#