procmail and samba

I'm setting up a debian mail server with  mailboxes in another machine
exported to the mail server as a samba share (all the mailboxes are
under one folder which I export). The mail server has exim setup up, and
all incoming mail is piped to procmail. Each user has a procmailrc file.

The problem I'm having is that procmail fails to write mail into the
mailboxes, and I suspect it has to do with them being in a samba share.
This portion of a procmail log shows the error I get:

procmail: Match on "^To:.*"
procmail: Locking "mbox/.lock"
procmail: Forced unlock denied on "mbox/.lock"
procmail: [17502] Sat Jun 25 13:36:29 2005
procmail: Locking "mbox/.lock"
procmail: Lock failure on "mbox/.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=mbox/new/1119720981.17502_2.mail"
procmail: Notified comsat:
"axolx@0:/home/axolx/Maildir/mbox/new/1119720981.17502_2.mail"

Eventually the message gets written into the mailbox, but the folder of
the mailbox is left with many empty files with filenames starting with "_".

Because the procmail log reported a locking problem, the first thing I
did is change my mailboxes from mbox to Maildir format because I had read
that maildirs don't need to be locked and are ideal for NFS/Samba setups
like mine. However, I still get the locking problem (the log above is
from after I changed to Maildir format).

1) Should procmail be trying to lock files when all my mailboxes are in Maildir format? If not, what can I do to stop that?

2) Is this a permissions problem? I went as far as tweaking my smb.conf
file so that every file created by the mail server in the mailboxes
share has 777 permissions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Martin

--
Linux is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it's friends are.