Re: Oracle 9i on Debian

* nicolas.kosmalski@alemtid.asso.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i've tried to install Oracle 9i on debian.  i've changed the kernel
> parameters and then there is the first problem (maybe not, but), i
> can't find parameters file like shmmni in /proc/kernel/sys.  After

Do you have /proc filesystem support ?

smmni is in /proc/sys/kernel *NOT* /proc/kernel/sys.

You can also change these parameters with sysctl.  To make these changes
permanent you need to put the settings in the /etc/sysctl.conf,
otherwise your changes will be lost on reboot.

With Oracle you get a tstshm program. To understand shared memory and
sempaphores you can read:

http://www.fors.com/velpuri2/LINUX/Semaf

> that, i lauch the Oracle Universal Installer on the CD, i install a
> database, everythings seems to go well, but when the tools for
> configuring the network start, OUI closed himself, and this is the
> crash of my KDE session (i must restart it).
>
> This problem come from where? is it KDE? is it the JAVA environnement?
> and what can i do ...  so much questions !

Not sure. Dont do GUIs ;-)