Sound not working

Hi, I've got a bit of a problem with sound on my system. It works in most applications but not all. As it was Friday I decided to install a few games and oddly enough sound doesn't work in any I have tried so far for instance NeverBall and TuxRacer. Now I think the problem might be that they are trying to use OSS where as I (think at least) am using alsa. I have installed also-oss as it looked like it might make things work but no joy. I have included the results of lsmod below if that helps. Any ideas what might be wrong? Sound is one of those areas that just seems to be a black art to me.

TIA, Graham

lsmod | grep snd
snd_intel8x0           35456  4
snd_ac97_codec         82384  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_ioctl32            28096  0
snd_pcm_oss            55968  0
snd_mixer_oss          19520  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 95372 5 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_ioctl32,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              25160  2 snd_pcm
snd 57256 13 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_ioctl32,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11232  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11144  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

System Spec
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
Video: Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP
Sound: On Board (8 Point Surround) AC97 Compatible
Network: On Board (2 * Gigabit Ethernet, 1 * Wireless)
Processor: AMD Athlon64 939 3000+ "Venice"
Memory: 2 * Corsair XMS 512MB PC3200 C2