Re: X Font size

j Mak wrote:
> --- Nikolai Hlubek
> <nikolai.hlubek@mailbox.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>

>>KDE and GNOME integration
>>=========================
>>
>>When working with KDE and GNOME applications and not
>>running a complete
>>GNOME or KDE session (not using "kwn" or "metacity"
>>as windowmanager)
>>you have the problem, that many subsystems (i.e. the
>>fonts) are not loaded.
>>
>>Here is the solution
>>
>>Configure kde-apps through kcontrol and gnome with
>>gnome-control-center
>>then put the following lines in your local .xsession
>>creating it if it
>>doesn't exist:
>>
>>kdeinit &
>>gnome-settings-daemon &
>>
>>This ensures that both subsystems will be loaded.
>>

>>Best regards,
>>Nikolai
>>

> Hi Nikolai,
>
> Me too am suffering from the small font syndrome; not
> only in Firefox but in syanptic as well. In fact, in
> synaptic the fonts are so tiny that i can hardly see
> them. Firefox is a bit better. The rest of the
> applications are OK. My desktop is kde.  I set the
> font sizes in the Control Center to 12 pt, then I
> created an .xsession file in my home directory as you
> mentioned, with “kdeinit &” line inside. I rebooted my
> computer and the login screen appeared but didn't
> accept my password anymore. When I entered my password
> the login screen just kept reappearing without
> reporting any error message. All in all, i couldn't
> log in; I had to delete the .xsession file from the
> home directory to be able to login again. Did i do
> something wrong? Or did i miss something? I am not
> very experienced with Linux yet, so it might be that i
> misunderstood something.
>
> Regards,
> jozsefmak

Hi jozsefmak

If you use kde, kdeinit is already invoked at startup.
Synaptic on the other hand is a gnome application so
you need to add
gnome-settings-daemon &
to your .xsession.
Firefox uses its own font settings, you can change them under
Preferences > General therefore it looks a bit different.

I'm sorry if my suggestion was a bit unclear. I use enlightenment
and have to load both subsystems.

Hope this helps,
Nikolai

--