cdda2wav giving more than 700 MB of wav files

While making a backup a music CD, I noticed that I am getting around
728MB of wav files from the original. I am using grip to rip the CD
using the cdda2wav command. The rip command in grip is:
-D %C -x -t %t -L 1 -O wav %w

Since I am not familiar with cdda2wav, I was just wondering how does the
ripped size from the audio CD exceed 700MB and how do I control the size
so that the total of wav files size is less than 700MB? cdda2wav's
manpage says "-x" is for maximum quality. If I remove that flag, what
would happen to the quality of the wav's I get?

I am using Debian Sid, and
> dpkg -l grip cdda2wav | grep ^ii
ii  cdda2wav       2.01+01a01-4   Creates WAV files from audio CDs
ii  grip           3.2.0-5        GNOME-based CD-player/ripper/encoder

thanks,
->HS
--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.