Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> VFS: Cannot open rootdevice "301" or 30:01
> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 30:01
> Ok, not worried at this time as I have my woody CD's and can do a
> rescbf24 to mount woody still installed and correct the lilo.conf but,
> here are the related boot messages when attempting rescue:
> request_modules_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted (repeated once)
> cramfs: wrong magic
> Fat: bogus logical sector size 5202
> read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 03:03,
> block 64, size 1024)-repeated once
> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:05
>
> Now I'm worried.  Note: I don't have a reiserfs file system, only an
> ext3 fs since day one on all partitions.

If I understand, you have a dual-boot system, with Sarge and Woody.

Sarge's boot is hosed, but you've tried to boot off the Woody
installation CD into the Woody installation, and it fails also.

Is this correct?

If it were me, I'd boot off a LiveCD, such as Knoppix or Kanotix, then
run cfdisk to see what partitions are defined. I'd mount the / partition
on the hard drive, and look to see what /etc/fstab says, and take a look
at the initrd issues you mention. My gut instinct (not having adequate
info), is that either your partition table is scrambled, your drive is
failing, or you're not feeding the correct parameters to the Woody CD.

--
Kent West
Technology Support