Re: lilo / raid1 / mbr problem

hi ay

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Dirk Bonenkamp - Bean IT wrote:

> I wanted to reconfigure a server so that it used a raid 1 array instead of
> just one disk.

bad idea .. waste of time as oyu're finding out ...

and whats the poit, you already have 1 disk of the 2-disk raid

> Created a raid 1 array (/dev/md0) on /dev/hda (/dev/hda1, just one raid
> partition plus one swap partition). Marked the second disk as 'missing'.

sometiems it works.. sometimes not .. depends on versions and config files
and command sequences

> Changed /mnt/etc/lilo.conf:

good

> lba32
> boot=/dev/md0
> raid-extra-boot=mbr
> root=/dev/md0
> install=/boot/boot-menu.b
> map=/boot/map
> message=/boot/bootmess.txt
>          prompt
>          #single-key
>          delay=100
>          timeout=100
>
> vga=normal
>
> default=2.6.9
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9
>          label=2.6.9
>          read-only
>
> Then, when I try:
>
> lilo -r /mnt

wont work ...

- you didnt do the magic for fdisk ... should be FD type

- you need to create the raid superblocks ... of whihc
  one disk is missing even you even start

	- other hwoto exists for more complete step by step
	conversion of 1 disk into raid ( but is too much headache,
	and trivially simple to just start with 2 disks and
	be done in 15min

c ya
alvin