Re: installing tomcat4

Adam Hardy wrote:

On 21/06/05 03:42 Craig Russell wrote:
> I've run into a problem.  In the course of making configuration changes
> to tomcat4 (can't use 5 with opennms) I completely screwed up the tomcat
> installation.  So, I removed that package and attempted to re-install.
> Unfortunately, it seems that no matter what I do, the package will not
> install correctly now.  Several files wind up missing (specifically
> bootstrap.jar, the /etc/init.d script, among others).  I've done an
> apt-get clean thinking that maybe the package I had downloaded
> previously was somehow corrupt.  But no luck.  Am I missing something?

Doesn't apt-get offer a hint when it fails?

Does the apt-get remove work OK or does it fail?

If the remove fails, when you see the error message, check out the script that apt-get is running from the package and edit it so that it doesn't fail. Preferably clean up manually after that if you have to. I am assuming it isn't a complete mess.

Adam

Actually, apt does not flag any errors at all. According to apt everything installs correctly and I should be good to go. More searching manually has revealed that more files are missing (basically almost all of the jar files are not installed). I've even tried to install on a fresh server, with the same result. I've done an apt-get remove and dpkg --purge and then gone back and manually removed anything left behind and re-installed with the same result. I'm about to try a 'dist-upgrade' to see if I have some dangling dependencies since the original install occurred prior to the sarge upgrade.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Craig