Re: About blackdown

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 05:21 pm, Tong wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:01:56 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > Obviously all this from standard debian packages if that is possible
>
> I've noticed that many of the answers for this thread suggest to avoid the
> blackdown. Any justification for that?

IIRC, Blackdown was instrumental in Sun implementing Java on Linux.
Blackdown, and all the other FOSS implementations of Java are noble
undertakings and I look forward to the day I can use a completely FOSS
version of Java on Linux, OSX, and the Redmond OS.  I will also be VERY glad
when GCJ is done and I can compile my classes into native code.  However,
until then, not all classes are implemented in any FOSS version of Java.  For
me, the biggest problem is that they don't include the GUI classes.  I think
one has some AWT classes, but I have yet to see anything other than Sun's JVM
that has Swing working.

Hal