Sarge (3.10) New Install - Grub problem

Hi

I was running woody on my hda disk (120GB).  I got a new disk 20GB(hdb).

So I thought I would run Sarge on hdb, and mount my woody disk as required to get any files I needed. I therefore do not need dual boot. I can install Sarge (3.10) fine but then I get to the question of where to install grub. I just want Sarge to run from hdb

I have tried a number of different answers to the grub question, but I always get a grub error, when rebooting.

How should I tell grub where to load itself?

Regards

Chris