Re: run into a roadblock

Silverweave Web Solutions wrote:

> Hello
>
> I’m installing linux for the first time and I’m having an issue when
> it preconfigures the packages. It’s hanging and not doing a thing. i
> need to know if it processes through the CPU for a very long time or
> it’s hanging cause there’s no hard drive activity at all. I’m stumped
> can someone please help me…

Does the CAPSLock key toggle the CAPSlock light? If not, you've probably
got a hung machine.

Sometimes the process can tie up the CPU for a while; on a decent
machine I've seen it "hang" for a few minutes; anything over an hour
though is unreasonable.

Try Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or just Alt-F2, if you're just in a text-mode console)
to see if you can switch to a different Virtual Terminal (VT); if so,
the machine is not locked up.

--
Kent West
Technology Support