Re: Setting up a Java development environment the debian way.

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 08:01 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> 1) What tools do I need to develop the application.   This includes code
> editiing, build environment, unit testing, I tried to setup eclipse on my
> workstation but there are unsatisfied dependencies (java runtime?).

On sarge, I'm using the netBeans IDE (www.netbeans.org). I tried eclipse
and liked the nB editor better.

> 2) What run time environment

I'm using Sun's JDK 5 (or whatever they're calling it this week). At the
end of the install, there's a URL to go to to see if it and the mozilla
plugin work.

> Obviously all this from standard debian packages if that is possible

Sun java isn't what Debian defines as free. I went through a
Java-on-Debian HOWTO, but couldn't get it to work. Sun's install dox
did.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com