Re: Setting up a Java development environment the debian way.

Le mercredi 22 juin 2005 à 08:01 +0100, Alan Chandler a écrit :
> I have decided the time has come to learn java and use it to develop some web
> based applications.  In particular I have a family tree project I want to
> conduct.
>
> I am a complete newbie as far as java is concerned.

Then, allow me to question your choice of Java as a web development
language & platform.

Are you a newbie wrt Java the language ? or Java the web dev tools ?

If so (if either ...), and if this is for a pet project and not mandated
by the corporate drones, why not have a look at some excellent, 100%
free, alternative languages & platforms ? I can cite a few :

python / zope, quixote,  ...
ruby / ruby-on-rails ...
common-lisp / uncommon-web, tbnl ...

Guess what, for a good part these frameworks (and the choice of their
mplementation language) have been made by people disgusted by the Java /
J2EE / whatever way of doing things. They are more lightweight and
pleasant to use. Do yourself a favor, don't go the Java way ;-).

Aurélien.

the system manager.

www.clearswift.com