Re: VMware on Debian

Please excuse me for that...
I installed  VMware Workstation 4.5.2 build-8848 under Ubuntu linux
(kernel 2.6.10-5-k7-smp), and every time I reboot vmware ask me to
reconfigure through the vmware-config.pl script. Everything than works
fine, however is a little annoying. I browsed a little and find out that
some debian users experienced the same problem, however I did'n find a
solution, exept that the problem has been solved for the Workstation 5.
Sombody say that one could mess with the /etc/udev/links.conf file,
however I didn't understand how (i switched from suse to ubunt since two
days). Here is what I found:

"The issue is that the vmware modules don't create sysfs entries so udev
doesn't pick them up and create device nodes.

In /etc/udev there is a file called links.conf

The form...

M node fooargs

...in links.conf transforms into...

mknod --mode=600 /dev/$node $fooargs

... in the udev init script

That of course forces the nodes to be mode 0600 (-rw-------) but you can
almost certainly do something with that.

D."

Thanks a lot

Alessanro