Re: Setting up a Java development environment the debian way.

Alan Chandler wrote:
I have decided the time has come to learn java and use it to develop some web based applications. In particular I have a family tree project I want to conduct.

I am a complete newbie as far as java is concerned.

I have two debian environments.

Server: Runs Sarge - and is running Apache2 and Postgres. I will want the ultimate application to run on here (on Tomcat?) and provide its UI via the web site and use Postgres database to store its data. Apache runs several virtual hosts - one is my current external web site for http: access, and also a separate one for https: access I also run two internal (to my lan web sites). Since I want my relatives to be able to add information to my family try from external - I will use one of them for my "production" version of the application (depends on security controls I decide to adopt). I will also run the "development" version of the application on one of the internal web sites.

Workstation:  Runs Debian Unstable with KDE as my desktop.

So my questions are:

1) What tools do I need to develop the application. This includes code editiing, build environment, unit testing, I tried to setup eclipse on my workstation but there are unsatisfied dependencies (java runtime?).

[Assume I can choose my configuration management environment - subversion probably (and especially if its integrated into an IDE) - but I am also considering others]

2) What run time environment

[I am assuming from my current position of ignorance that I want to develop servlets and jsp pages for this application].

Obviously all this from standard debian packages if that is possible

I realize that I am about to become really unpopular here but... (if you're prone to knee jerk reactions I would stop reading now if I were you) avoid the open source Java implementations like the plague. I tried one (inadvertently) about 6 weeks ago and I was surprised how much was implemented. Unfortunately I ran into a bug in the implementation that cost me a lot of development time and it has put me off the open source VM's for good.

As far as the closed source VMs go I would recommend you go for the latest Sun VM. It's fast (for Java) and stable. If you bought a book on Java make sure it covers the changes in Java 1.5 (Java 5) as there were quite a few - some of which are rather nice.

On the development environment front you have two choices Ecplise or NetBeans. I use netbeans as it is better, IMHO, for web development (built in tomcat, junit testing, and ant build scripts) but a lot of people like eclipse. Running netbeans is easy. It comes with a graphical installer or you can just grab the tar ball and just unpack it where ever you want (I stick mine in /usr/local). You can choose the VM used by netbeans with the --jdkhome flag eg:

/usr/local/netbeans-4.1/bin/netbeans --jdkhome /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_03

As for installing Java I recommend using java-package. It's quick and easy and seems to work with all the modern VM packages.

You might also like to install the command line ant from the Debian package.