Available printers

Debian kernel-2.4.29-f3, mostly sarge, some sid. Gnome Desktop 2.8.3
Cups: 1.0.23-10
mozilla-firefox browser, 2 versions, debian 1.0.2 for everybody but myself
Epson Color Stylus CX5400 printer

When I print from my own desktop, the choices of printer offered by the browser's print dialog are:
* CUPS/scx5300_5400
* Default Postscript

And things seem to print correctly

When my wife tries to print from her desktop, the choices of printer are
* scx5400_5400@:64
* xp_ps_spooldir_HOME_xprint ... @:64
* xp_pdf_spooldir_HOME_xprint ...@:64
* Postscript/scx5300_5400
And everything she tries to print comes out with very large fonts and only about half on the page, as though the dots-per-inch setting is way off.

My SWAG is that the application is picking up the wrong default printer information. But I have no idea where the printer info comes from.

It's worth noting that everything was working fine until one of my frequent aptitude--upgrade runs included the cupsys packages. Meanwhile, this has convinced my wife that I only installed Linux to annoy her.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.