Re: compiling custom kernel/Sarge

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 20:11 -0400, William wrote:
> I need to compile a custom kernel, to add raid and a scsi driver. Is
> the kernel that comes with sarge just from kernel.org or does it have
> some kind of security patches?
> If it is just from kernel.org, is it best to use the latest kernel?

If they are just "drivers" you should be able to just install the Kernel
Headers for the kernel you have (assuming Debian's default Kernels for
Sarge).

It'll be something like these:

        For the latest 2.4 Debian Linux Kernel headers in Sarge
        kernel-headers-2.4-386
        kernel-headers-2.4-586tsc
        kernel-headers-2.4-686
        kernel-headers-2.4-686-smp
        kernel-headers-2.4-k6
        kernel-headers-2.4-k7
        kernel-headers-2.4-k7-smp

        For the latest 2.6 Debian Linux Kernel headers in Sarge
        kernel-headers-2.6-386
        kernel-headers-2.6-686
        kernel-headers-2.6-686-smp
        kernel-headers-2.6-amd64-generic
        kernel-headers-2.6-amd64-k8
        kernel-headers-2.6-amd64-k8-smp
        kernel-headers-2.6-em64t-p4
        kernel-headers-2.6-em64t-p4-smp
        kernel-headers-2.6-k7
        kernel-headers-2.6-k7-smp

Those are the Meta-Packages for the latest headers that correspond with
the same setup with the Kernels:

        2.4 latest Debian Linux kernels:
        kernel-image-2.4-386
        kernel-image-2.4-586tsc
        kernel-image-2.4-686
        kernel-image-2.4-686-smp
        kernel-image-2.4-k6
        kernel-image-2.4-k7
        kernel-image-2.4-k7-smp

        2.6 latest Debian Linux Kernels:
        kernel-image-2.6-386
        kernel-image-2.6-686
        kernel-image-2.6-686-smp
        kernel-image-2.6-amd64-generic
        kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8
        kernel-image-2.6-amd64-k8-smp
        kernel-image-2.6-em64t-p4
        kernel-image-2.6-em64t-p4-smp
        kernel-image-2.6-k7
        kernel-image-2.6-k7-smp

So install the kernel-headers meta package that matches you kernel. Then
compile the modules for the drive controllers you want. Matter of fact
most "install routines" will, if done right (installing just the
headers) find the headers on thier own and make it happen.

One last thing, exactly *WHAT* drive controllers are these? They may
already be in the kernel module tree.
--
Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net>