Will cdrdao actually work on a 2.6.5 Kernel?

	The system in question has 4 IDE interfaces and the CD drives
map to /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd.  After trying several syntax
possibilities like:

cdrdao read-toc device:ATAPI,#,#,# toc_testfile

and, after reading more documentation:

cdrdao read-toc device:ATA,#,#,# toc_testfile

I had a glimmer of hope.  When I gave the device spec of ATA:0,0,0 the
output from cdrdao said it couldn't open /dev/hda which made me
realize I had the wrong unit specification and that I should probably
try ATA:2,0,0, etc.

That also produced an error that cdrdao couldn't open /dev/hda which
tells me something is not right.

	A search of 'HOWTO' documents for burning CD's says to try
using cdrecord to learn drive options.  I installed the modified
cdrecord from the Debian packages and got nada.  It, in its own
charming way, said "I don't know what you're even talking about."
Actually, it wanted to see SCSI devices and couldn't find any except
for a USB-based external hard drive which is connected to the system,
not the IDE CD drives I was expecting.

	The syntax for cdrdao may be wrong or it may just not work on
this system, but it is certainly not unusually configured.  The first
IDE controller has two hard drives which show up as hda# and hdb#
depending upon what partition one means.

	The only good news so far is that cdparanoia from the debian
packages has no trouble at all with /dev/hdc so I'm almost back to
where I was in the rebuild and modernize process.

	Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group