Re: How to reinstall without changing anything?

Olle Eriksson wrote:

What it would come down to for me is to save the modified files, then do:
  dpkg --get-selections > package-list-backup.list

Reinstall, and do:
  dpkg --set-selections < package-list-backup.list

Much obliged.  I take it the "reinstall" part means reinstall
a bare-bones system, maybe not even including X?  And could
you say a couple words about whether this method will cause
any problems if I later plan to use APT rather than low-level
dpkg?