Re: How come packages dont have a homepage field?

Stefhen Hovland wrote:

I dont know if this has been asked before, but one thing I notice which
is missing from .deb's is a field for a package's homepage URL. This was a nice
thing with gentoo ebuilds, in that there was a homepage field for each package,
so it was nice and easy for me to cut and paste to firefox and check out the
homepage of a package I was interested in. I know most will say just google for
the answer and you will probably find the project's homepage pretty quickly, but
this still very handy, plus I could be sure I was going to the correct project
homepage.

Does anyone know why this is missing from Debian? I am sure about 99% of
packages out there have a homepage, and if there are any that don't I am sure
they will have a generic entry on freshmeat.net/packagename which
could be listed.

Sure most of the packages will end up being packagename.sourceforge.net, but
this would still be helpful.

Any thoughts?

Stefhen

I like the idea. I have been waiting for something like this for ages.

raju