Re: compiling custom kernel/Sarge

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 20:11 -0400, William wrote:
> I need to compile a custom kernel, to add raid and a scsi driver. Is
> the kernel that comes with sarge just from kernel.org or does it have
> some kind of security patches?
> If it is just from kernel.org, is it best to use the latest kernel?
> thanks william

Sarge comes with a 2.4.27 and a 2.6.8 kernel, with security fixes
backported from later kernels.

"apt-cache search kernel-source" will show what kernel source packages
are available.

I'm no expert on custom kernels, but installing the latest kernel could
have interesting side-effects. Most thngs will work, but there can be
breakage if bits like udev have changed etc. and you haven't updated the
corresponding apps. It's probably safer/simpler to get the source for
the standard Debian kernel and recompile that.

Regards,

Simon