re: a NIC card gone bad.

Hi Marty and others,

troubleshooting the network *is* part of his job description. I just
like to make sure I've done my part. :) I've used a lot of systems
over the years.  I'm trying to make sure that this variant of
linux/unix doesn't require that I do something else to make the NIC
usable.

re: trying another port on the other end of the LAN segment.  I have
tried the other port in
the wall jack. Unless they've done something *really* bad that would
indicate that I've tried
another port on the switch as well as wires & jack.

It may very well be that the "brand name networking device" in the
closet has not auto-negotiated.  That is what the networking guy is
supposed to determine, since
I don't have the keys to the "closet". :)   Hopefully, my networking
guy will set his networking
device to 100 Mb fullduplex since that is what my NIC is set at, and I
can't think of a reason
why I wouldn't want it to have that setting. :)

Regards,

Marc