Re: a NIC gone bad

Marc Jackson wrote:
To Marty: Yes, I did trouble shoot. I tried to test the network via PING.
Ping reports 100% packet loss, but I'm no longer getting error messages
about data bytes and wrong size. The latter happened when we had a Linksys card with the Tulip driver.

The network guy, when he's not putting blocks on the wall jacks, is managing the routers, etc. etc. etc.

So troubleshooting/fixing his network is not on his job description?

re: Network or cable problems.  The network jack was checked out
before the NIC was
swapped out.  The error messges indicated the NIC was getting timeouts. Swapping
out the NIC has caused these error messages to go away.   The cable was swapped
out and a different jack was tried.  Neither of these changed the error messages.

Regards,

Marc

Sounds like a good start.  I ask the following questions just to cover all the bases,
not to insult or offend by suggesting the obvious.

Did you try another port on the switch/hub/router on other end of your LAN segment?
Did you swap out that device for another vendor's switch/hub/router (or at least
another model from the same vendor?).  Your network guy may have to stop blocking
connections long enough to lend a hand here.  :-)

Did you check to verify that your port speed and duplex settings are the same
on both ends of the LAN segment?

If perchance you forgot this last check and find a problem here, then you might
locate a spare hub/router/switch that your known-good tested card is known to work
perfectly with. Establish a link with that switch/hub then connect to your network
through that device. This may bypass any autonegotiation issues.  If you determine
that the problem is autonegotiation, then you may have to set the port speed and
duplex setting manually.  (Many kernel docs, FM's and Howto's on this sort of thing.)

(BTW, do not assume that because you have some kind of expensive, name
brand switch in your wiring closet, that it's free of autonegotiation
issues, nor that all such issues are software (i.e. the Linux driver.))