Re: Copy protected CD's

Find detailed information about copy protected CDs (if you can read German):
http://www.heise.de/ct/03/09/112/default.shtml
http://www.heise.de/ct/cd-register/.

Some facts I remember from reading the article:
These CDs are not 100% compatible with audio CD specification (the author calls
them unCDs).
They can be played on some drives, it seems to depend more on the hard- and
firmware (though I found cdparanoia is better than windows).
Sometimes tracks in wma format (with drm) are added to these CDs to be played on
(windows) computers.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 07:47:33PM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
> > Read an article in the WP about copyprotected CD's:
> >
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/18/AR2005061800149.html
> >
> > Would cdparanoia care?
>
> I read that article all the way through this AM, hoping that it would say
> something about how the protection scheme works.  But it didn't.  No doubt
> the vendor stays quiet about the specifics, but it shouldn't be hard to
> figure out.
>
> Does anyone know the details?  Some Windows-specific driver that's required
> to read the tracks?  And how does it know how many times you've ripped a
> song-- stashing counts in the registry some place, or in a hidden part of
> the hard drive?
>
> In any case, it sounds like an abomination-- a music CD that requires
> Windows.

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

  I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.