Re: PROMISE Fasttrak 100TX2PRO

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 10:46 -0500, Landy Bible wrote:
> Has anyone ever had any luck with the Promise Fasttrak 100TX2PRO?*
>
> *http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102049
>
> It says it supports Redhat 6.2/7.0 but Redhat isn't Debian, so before I
> buy I'd like to know if anyone else has had success.

If this is the same as the FastTrak100TX2 stay far far away.  It's junk.
It requires their binary driver for raid functionality, which is only
avaiable for 2.4 kernels last time I checked.  The 2.6 driver in the
kernel sees it as normal IDE controllers but it's slow.

I moved the drives onto the onboard intel controllers and made a
software raid with the 2.6 kernel's drivers, and it far outperforms even
the 2.4 binary drivers.  And is more stable, and has much lower CPU
utilisation.

If you want to buy an IDE raid card get a 3ware.

My humble opinion... :-)

--
Kind Regards
Hans du Plooy